pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month

“When a child loses his parent, they are called an orphan. When a spouse loses her or his partner, they are called a widow or widower. When parents lose their child, there isn’t a word to describe them.” - Ronald Reagan


This month is Pregnancy & Infant Loss Awareness Month. I am thankful that President Reagan recognized the need to designate a month towards this type of loss. So many people go through this feeling alone & secluded...& this reminds us that we are not alone. 1 in 4 pregnancy’s end in miscarriage. 1 in 160 pregnancy’s end in stillbirth. The chances of the person sitting next to you being affected by Pregnancy & Infant Loss are so high....so why do you feel so alone?

I feel like part of the problem is the 12 week “safe zone”. Society has this impression you can’t announce before 12 weeks & that after the 12 week mark, you are in the clear & that you will be delivering a healthy baby. Not only does this leave women feeling alone during a first trimester, but if there is a loss they have few people to turn to. I also have countless friends & other bloggers who have lost babies at 23 weeks or 39 weeks, when they were way passed the “safe zone”. So personally, I decided that from the moment I got that that positive pregnancy test I would celebrate. Every single second with our babies is a gift that is not guaranteed because of the sinful, broken world that we live in. It is a very personally decision. It forced me to be vulnerable in sharing our losses, but I wouldn’t change my decision. The amount of women that message me everyday saying they “happened to find my account through a loss hashtag” makes it worth it. We are not alone.

So here’s to all our babies. They all mattered. Whether 7 weeks or 39 weeks. While the pain may look different for everyone, it is a pain that brings women together. That is the only thing that gets me through the losses...the fact that I can see with my own eyes the good things that are happening between women who have lost babies & who are now lifelong friends.

We are warriors.

( if you live in Ohio & are free on October 20th..you should come to this event! It is gonna be a time to create in honor of this month & it’s totally free to you! It is going to be great!)



Comments

Popular Posts