Be still

If you know me well then you know that this is not something that I am good at. I am usually cramming my schedule full of things... work, ministry, vacations, time with friends, and date nights with my hubby. My intentions are good, these are all amazing things. However sometimes in seasons of grief, I fill my schedule so that I don’t have the time to focus on our losses. I keep my mind busy and myself moving. This isn’t always healthy though. Our recent time in Florida was just what I needed to take time to rest.

I need to stop.

I need to be still.

I need to embrace the sadness.

Obviously, there needs to be a happy medium though. I don’t want to get stuck in sadness because that isn’t healthy either. But sometimes I need to remind myself that it’s okay to be sad and to take time to grieve. Grieving is good. Healthy grieving leads to closure & peace. So I encourage you, no matter what kind of grief you are dealing with, to take time to be still. Sometimes facing your emotions can be hard but I promise you it is so helpful. Usually in the quiet of the evening, right before bed, is when my grief hits me the hardest. I have always had issues with sleep & in times of grief this is escalated. But I have been reading the Psalms lately, and I love Psalm 4. Give it a read! It is full of truth.


 Psalm 4:6-8
There are many who say, “Who will show us some good?
Lift up the light of your face upon us, O Lord!”
You have put more joy in my heart
than they have when their grain and wine abound.

In peace I will both lie down and sleep;
for you alone, O Lord, make me dwell in safety.

Comments

  1. I just finished reading "Present over Perfect" which was also a great reminder on this same topic....I am learning how to be alone and not let grief overwhelm me as well. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts